|'Build Me Up Buttercup'|
|Single by The Foundations|
|from the album Build Me Up Buttercup (U.S.)|
|Format||Vinyl record (7')|
|Songwriter(s)||Mike d'Abo, Tony Macaulay|
|The Foundations singles chronology|
- Build Me A Buttercup Song
- The Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup Mp3 Download
- Build Me Up Buttercup Ukulele Chords
- Build Me Up Buttercup Guitar Chords
'Build Me Up Buttercup' is a song written by Mike d'Abo and Tony Macaulay, and released by The Foundations in 1968 with Colin Young singing lead vocals. Young had replaced Clem Curtis during 1968 and this was the first Foundations hit on which he sang.
Foundations - Build Me up Buttercup The Foundations MP3 Download and Lyrics CD Universe is your source for Foundations's song Build Me up Buttercup (The Foundations) MP3 download lyrics and much more. Build Me Up Buttercup- The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup (Re-Recorded / Remastered) Send ringtone 5. Build Me Up Buttercup- The Foundations - Back On My Feet Again Send ringtone 6. Build Me Up Buttercup- The Foundations - Build Me Up, Buttercup Send ringtone 7. Build Me Up Buttercup- The Foundations - Baby, Now That I Found You Send.
It hit #1 on the Cash Box Top 100 and #3 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in early 1969. It was also a #2 hit in the United Kingdom. It was quickly certified Gold by the RIAA for sales of over a million US copies.
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||400,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
Cover versions and later uses
In 2003, Colin Young recorded an updated version of the song backed by a choir of policemen from the Surrey police force. The proceeds from the sales of the CD went to the Milly's Fund, a trust that was set up in memory of murdered school girl Amanda Dowler. Apparently the song was a favourite of hers.
Build Me A Buttercup Song
'Build Me Up Buttercup' was covered by David Johansen Group in the late 1970s and early 1980s and appears on The David Johansen Group Live CD (1978). The song was used in the 1983 film Luggage of the Gods!, and featured again in movies twice in the 1990s and once in 2007. It was covered by rock band The Goops in 1995 for the soundtrack of Mallrats, with the music video featuring View Askewniverse characters Jay and Silent Bob.
Three years later, it was included (as its original version) in the 1998 film There's Something About Mary where the cast made a video for the song during the end credits, with all the main actors miming to the words in character.
In 2001, the song was used in the pilot of the television show Alias as part of a marriage proposal, sung by character Danny Hecht.
It was also covered by The Frantic in 2007 as a bonus track on their album, Audio & Murder. This version is popularly thought to have been done by both NOFX and The Donnas. English musician Frank Turner recorded a slightly darker cover for the 1969 Key to Change album. The song later appeared on his compilation album The Second Three Years. It was also recorded in the 1960s and performed by, The Valentines (an Australian band) whose backing singer Bon Scott later became the lead singer of AC/DC.
The Los Angeles Angels play this song during the seventh-inning stretch, after 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game'; fans most often sing along with it, much like 'Sweet Caroline' with the Boston Red Sox and Pitt Panthers, as well as 'New York, New York' with the New York Yankees. The song is also sung by fans and especially students during Wisconsin Badgers football and Boston College Eagles football games.
In 1997, the song was used in the Philippine television programmes Growing Up and T.G.I.S. (GMA Network).
The Orwells cover the song live very fast and often just the chorus.
Leaked recordings from the 'Let It Be' sessions revealed that the Beatles sang the song (along with other covers) in between takes of their own songs.
Pop-rock band Busted included a cover as a B-side to their number 2 single 'Crashed the Wedding'.
American pop-rock singer Eddie Money covered the song, along with several other '60s classics, on his eleventh studio album, 2007's Wanna Go Back.
During a 'Behind the Scenes' video of the Twenty One Pilots' song 'House of Gold', the lead singer Tyler Joseph can be heard playing and singing an original ukulele cover of the song.
- Colin Young – lead vocals
- Alan Warner – lead guitar
- Peter Macbeth – bass guitar
- Tim Harris – drums
- Tony Gomez – keyboards
- Mike Elliott – tenor saxophone
- Eric Allandale – trombone
- Mike D'Abo – piano
Single releases of various versions
- The Foundations: 'Build Me Up Buttercup'/'New Direction'; PYE 7N 17636 – 1968 (7')
- Dominic: 'Build Me Up Buttercup'/'To Be Too Much in Love'; CNR(NL)142.010 – 1982
- Shirley Scott: 'Build Me Up Buttercup'/'Buttercup Jam'; Music Works BMC 3545 – 1982
- Torch: 1. 'Build Me Up Buttercup' (Club mix), 2. (Instrumental)/1. (Radio edit), 2. (Underground mix); Pacific Records SAT-1XX – 1983 (12' single)
- Colin Young & The Offbeats – 'For Milly's Fund': 'Build Me Up Buttercup'/'Buttercup Too'/'No Mtan is an Island'; Ripe Music RIPEMCD1 — 2003 (CD single)
- Busted ft McFly – Crashed the Wedding UK CD1: 'Build Me Up Buttercup' – 2003 (CD single)
- You, Me, and Everyone We Know: 'Build Me Up Buttercup'; on Rockin' Romance 2 – 2010
- ^ ab'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2014-03-21. Retrieved 2016-05-29.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- ^Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002
- ^'Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada'. Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- ^[dead link]
- ^'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2015-05-22. Retrieved 2016-05-20.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- ^'British single certifications – Foundations – Build Me Up Buttercup'. British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 5 April 2019.Select singles in the Format field.Select Gold in the Certification field.Type Build Me Up Buttercup in the 'Search BPI Awards' field and then press Enter.
- ^'American single certifications – Foundations – Build Me Up Buttercup'. Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 5 April 2019.If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- ^'Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Mike d'Abo's Bands of Gold'. Platform-end.co.uk. 2003-08-23. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- ^'Busted Online'. Busted Online. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- ^Reid, Sean. 'Rockin' Romance 2 Track Listing Announced'. Alter The Press!. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
The Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup Mp3 Download
Build Me Up Buttercup Ukulele Chords
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics